EU, EEA countries, and the Swiss Confederation students

EU Students

Admission requirements for EU, EEA countries, and the Swiss Confederation students

Citizens of European Union member states, the European Economic Area Member States, or the Swiss Confederation have the right to apply for undergraduate studies at Romanian higher education institutions under the same conditions as Romanian citizens.

Recognition of Study Diplomas

To be eligible, candidates must ensure that their educational diplomas are validated by the Romanian National Centre for Recognition and Equivalence of Diplomas (CNRED).
Applications for recognition may be submitted either directly to CNRED or through the university, at least 30 days before the admission contest:

How to apply


Gather the required documents

Collect all the necessary documents needed for your application.


Complete the application form 

Fill out the application form here. Ensure that you provide accurate and complete information.


Application Review

Applications must include all documents and must provide all information required in the standard form.


Application Result

The certificate/attestation in recognition of pre-university studies is issued to the holder or to the University representative at the CNRED office. The original diploma must be verified before the certificate is issued.

Required documents

1. Application Form
The standard form can be downloaded from the authority website


2. Baccalaureate diploma – certified copy

  • Original diplomas issued in Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal, and Cyprus require the Hague Apostille.
  • Original diplomas issued in countries that have not ratified the Hague Apostille Convention must be super-legalized by:
    • the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the issuing country, the Embassy/Consular Office of Romania in the issuing country, and the Romanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs,
    • the Ministry of Education of the issuing country, the Embassy/Consular Office of the issuing country in Romania, and the Romanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  • The certificate of the Italian baccalaureate, Spain’s “Pruebas de Aptitud para el Acceso a la Universidad, calificación Apto” and the Greek certificate of graduation of the National Examination for General High Schools (Panellinies Exetaseis) must bear the Hague Apostille.

3. Transcripts of records for all years of study in secondary education
Years 9/10 to 12/13 – copies;

4. Photocopies of the personal identification documents:

  • passport – pages 1, 2, 3, 4 or
  • other identification documents as proof of citizenship of a Member State of the European Union, the European Economic Area, or the Swiss Confederation;

5. All documents written in languages other than English or French must be accompanied by original certified translations into Romanian.
Translations performed in Greece must be legalized by the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Romanian Student Visa

Once you get your letter of acceptance from the Romanian Ministry of Education, you have to apply for a Romanian student visa to your closest  ROMANIAN DIPLOMATIC MISSIONS  ABROAD (embassy or consulate).


  • Students arriving from the EU countries, the European Economic Area, as well as from Canada, Croatia, Japan, Moldova, South Korea, Switzerland, the USA, and Serbia do not need visas to enter Romania. All other international students are required to apply for a Romanian student visa prior to arrival.
  • Student visas may take from two days to 2 months to process and one can only apply for a student visa once the Ministry of Education in Romania has issued the letter of acceptance to study. It’s best to apply early for the letter of acceptance.
  • Students having entered the territory of Romania with a long-stay visa may apply for the extension of the right of temporary residence and obtain a residence permit. The request filed in this respect must be addressed to the Romanian Office for Immigration within the Romanian Ministry of Internal Affairs.
  • Students of the European Union, European Economic Area member states, or Swiss Confederation who wish to stay for more than 3 months on the territory of Romania must access the web page of the General Inspectorate for Immigration and submit the required documents.
Language Certificate
  • Programs taught in English

The candidate will pass an English language examination at “Gheorghe Asachi” Technical University of Iaşi, or they can submit an international language certificate.


  • Programs taught in Romanian

The candidates accepted by our university must graduate from the preparatory year. The candidates who speak Romanian can skip the preparatory year and must present a Romanian Language Certificate, issued by an accredited institution from Romania. The candidates who can formally prove that they have studied in the Romanian language  for at least four years consecutively, do not need to submit a Romanian Language Certificate nor to attend the preparatory year.

Need help?

For more information regarding the recognition of the diplomas, please contact the CNRED representatives.

Gabriela LEŢCAI, Counselor

Fax: 021 313 10 13

Florin Alexandru GRIGORE, Counselor

Fax: 021 313 10 13