Admission to study at Gheorghe Asachi Technical University of Iaşi for non-EU students
Categories of international students
International students are categorised in several groups, according to the financing source of their studies and by the regulations and procedures they have to follow in order to register:
- neighboring countries students (Romania has specific programs and regulations for students from Republic of Moldova, as well as for Romanians – citizens of neighboring countries; the information is constantly evolving and updated on the Ministry of National Education and the Ministry of Administration and Interior websites);
- exchange students from partner institutions (special project regulations are applied for them);
- EU students – state grant-aided or self (privately) financed;
- privately financed students from third party countries; for this category, there are different regulations and procedures as for the citizens of the European Union, European Economic Area or citizens of the Swiss
Non-EU citizens willing to study in Romania have to apply to the chosen Romanian university.
The Letter of acceptance is issued by the Ministry of Education and represents the final document, necessary and compulsory to study in Romania.
Our university can be contacted at the following address:
Gheorghe Asachi Technical University of Iasi
Prof. dr. doc. Dimitrie Mangeron Street, 67, 700050 – Iasi, Romania,
The university will hold discussions regarding the application file only with the candidates.
Specific admission criteria:
- For Architecture, the candidates have to pass the specific aptitude tests, after receiving the Letter of acceptance.
- In order to apply to study at the Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology candidates need to have passed a test of Mathematics at the high school graduation exam or must have studied one of these subjects in high school each Candidates need International language certificates (TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge) with a minimum B2 level – for programs taught in English, or they must pass a test of English language skills, physically or online, at the university. Candidates who can prove that the official language of their country is English or that they studied at least 4 years in this language are exempt from this requirement.
- In order to apply to study at the Faculty of Automatic Control and Computer Engineering, master programs, candidates will pass an on-line interview.
- In order to apply for the master program Structural Engineering, at the Faculty of Civil Engineering, candidates must present a diploma in civil engineering or architecture, or a diploma equivalent to civil engineering in the fields: architecture, mechanics, environment, computer engineering.
Please read also the information from the site of Romanian Ministry of Education regarding admission of foreign students: www.edu.ro
The following application papers are required:
- Application form (filled in 2 copies) –please fill in your personal e-mail address where we can contact you and your home address where the Ministry of Education can contact you http://study.tuiasi.ro/admission/non-eu-students/
- The studies document (copy and legally certified translation):
- for bachelor’s degree studies: the baccalaureate diploma or its equivalent;
- for master’s degree studies: the baccalaureate diploma and the bachelor’s degree diploma or their equivalent;
- Academic records for the completed studies (copy and legally certified translation);
- Birth certificate (copy and legally certified translation);
- Passport – valid at least 6 months after the data when the letter of acceptance to studies is issued;
- Medical certificate (in English) to prove that the person to be registered for studies does not suffer from infectious diseases or other illnesses that are incompatible with the future profession. On the medical certificate must be specified ”The candidate is not registered with mental illnesses and infectious and contagious diseases”. If the candidate is registered with mental illnesses, he/she will have to bring the psychologist / psychiatrist approval that the candidate can perform the studies to be registered.
- Language certificate for the teaching language (international English certificate or Romanian language certificate issued by an accredited institution from Romania).
- Copy of the document proving the permanent residence abroad.
- Copy of the document proving the payment of the file processing fee of the amount equivalent in Romanian currency (lei) of 80 Euros. On the bank document, the candidate will have to mention his/her name and the text ”taxa procesare dosar” (file processing fee). The file processing fee will be transferred to the bank account below:
Beneficiary: Universitatea Tehnica ”Gheorghe Asachi” din Iasi
Address: 67 Prof. dr. docent Dimitrie Mangeron Street
Cod IBAN: RO44TREZ 4062 0F33 0500 XXXX
Bank: TREZORERIA Iasi
The fee in Romanian currency (lei) will be calculated according to the National Bank of Romania official exchange rate on the day of the payment.
The 80 Euros application fee is non-refundable.
Submission of the admission file: April 15, 2023 –August 15, 2023
A. Programs taught in English
Gheorghe Asachi Technical University of Iaşi offers the following study programs taught in English:
|Civil Engineering||Faculty of Civil Engineering and Building Services|
|Telecommunication Systems and Technologies||Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology|
|Industrial design||Faculty of Industrial Design and Business Management
|Systems and control||Faculty of Automatic Control and Computer Engineering|
|Distributed systems and WEB technologies||Faculty of Automatic Control and Computer Engineering|
|Environmental management and sustainable energy||Chemical Engineering and Environmental Protection|
|Structural engineering||Faculty of Civil Engineering and Building Services|
|Automotive electronic control systems||Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology|
|Information Technologies for Telecommunications (IT4T)||Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology|
|Intelligent Manufacturing and Automation||Faculty of Machine Manufacturing and Industrial Management|
The candidates will submit their file in a scanned copy by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or at the Rectorate of Gheorghe Asachi Technical University of Iasi (room B102).
The file will be analysed by the faculty and if they accept it, the file will be sent to the Ministry of Education.
The accepted candidates will have to submit, by e-mail, a declaration consenting to proceed with the registration at the university.
The candidates who do not submit this declaration will not be taken into account.
The candidate will pass an English language examination at Gheorghe Asachi Technical University of Iaşi, or they can submit a language certificate internationally recognize.
B. Programs taught in Romanian language
The candidates will submit their file in a scanned copy by e-mail at email@example.com or at the Rectorate of Gheorghe Asachi Technical University of Iaşi (room B102).
The file will be analysed by the faculty. The university will inform the candidates if their file was accepted or not.
The candidates accepted by the faculties will have to submit, by e-mail, a declaration consenting to proceed with registration at our university, after graduating the preparatory year.
The candidates who do not submit this declaration, will not be taken into account.
The candidates who speak Romanian can skip the preparatory year and they have to present a Romanian Language Certificate, issued by an accredited institution from Romania (universities that provide preparatory year classes for Romanian language learning).
The candidates who can formally prove that they have studied in Romanian language for at least four years consecutively, do not need to submit a Romanian Language Certificate nor to attend the preparatory year.
In order to be enrolled as a student to our university you have to:
- present the passport with the visa for study;
- present all documents from the application file, in original, certified for authentication by the Romania Embassy from the issuer country and in legalized translations and 4 passport-size photos;
- pay the tuition fee.
For undergraduate and master studies, for the 2023-2024 academic year, the study fee for international students was set as it follows:
|Field of study||Undergraduate, Master|
|Techniques||2430 EURO / year|
|Techniques – Automatic Control and Computer Engineering||3000 EURO / year|
|Techniques – Telecommunication Systems and Technologies||3500 EURO / year|
|Architecture||3150 EURO / year|
Rules, methods of payment and deadlines
The fee is paid in Lei by the students being citizens of a country from European Union, European Economic Area or citizens of the Swiss Confederation, and in Euros by the other students. The study fee should be paid by bank transfer or in cash.
The payment must be done for the entire year in case of the students enrolling the first time at TUIASI and who are not from the European Union, European Economic Area or Swiss Confederation. In all other cases the fee can be paid in three equal instalments.
Students who request the equivalence of subjects from previous undergraduate studies should pay the fee concurrently with the request. Students who ask for re-examination should pay the fee concurrently with the credits request, before the exam.
Grading Scale and Credit System (ECTS)
For grading, in Romania a 10-point scale is used, 5 being the minimum grade for passing. In few cases (like physical education, for example) the passed/failed result is used.
The European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System “ECTS makes teaching and learning in higher education more transparent across Europe and facilitates the recognition of all studies. The system allows for the transfer of learning experiences between different institutions. It also aids curriculum design and quality assurance” (European Union).
TUIASI uses a Credits Accumulation and Transfer System that follows the general lines of the European Credits Transfer System (ECTS). Each subject from the curricula has an assigned number of credits. The student is entitled to those credits if the subject is passed (with minimum mark 5 or with “pass” result). The total number of credits for the subjects in one year of study is 60. Rules for progression from one year to the next are set by university regulations. Thus, for the 4 years curricula, a total of 240 credits is required for graduation, along with the defence of the graduate diploma project.
After filling-in the registration sheet and paying the registration and study fees, each new student enrolled at TUIASI will receive a student card, with a one year long valid visa.
The student card with photo, signature and valid visa is the official document that certifies the status of each student; it is requested for admission at academic activities and exams. It also allows the holder to benefit from different discounts at museums, libraries, festivals, different services, etc.
In case of losing the student card, students should immediately contact the faculty secretary and follow the regulations.
Students nationals of European Union, European Economic Area member state or Swiss Confederation who wish to stay for more than 3 months on the territory of Romania must access the web page of the General Inspectorate for Immigration at: https://portagli.mai.gov.ro and transmit the following documents:
- standard application;
- identity card or passport (original and copy);
- documents certifying that the person is enrolled in UTCB;
- proof of the means of subsistence;
- proof of health insurance;
The registration certificate is issued on the same day.
In order to obtain the long term residence visa for studies, from the Romanian diplomatic missions and consular offices, non-EU students must first be accepted for enrolment at TUIASI.
To obtain the long term residence visa, students must submit the following documents:
For undergraduate, Master or PhD students:
- proof of acceptance for studies, issued by the Ministry of National Education and Scientific Research, attesting that they will attend full time education;
- proof of payment of the tuition fee for at least one year of study;
- proof of the means of subsistence, amounting to at least the minimum national net wage per month, for the entire duration mentioned in the visa;
- certificate of Criminal Record or other document having the same legal value;
- medical insurance during the validity period of the
The visa duty amounts to 120 Euros and will be paid in the State where the request is submitted.
The long-stay visa (marked D) allows the entry and stay on the territory of Romania for a period of 90 days at the most; however, this type of visa allows for its prolongation following an official request addressed to the Romanian Office for Immigration which is part of the Romanian Ministry of Administration and Interior.
.After entering Romania, the requests for the extension of the right of stay must be personally submitted by the applicants, at the local branch-offices of the Romanian Office for Immigration closest to their place of residence, at least 30 days before expiry of the stay right granted by the visa. Overstaying the visa entails cancellation of the visa and the obligation of leaving the territory of Romania.
In order to extend their residence right for studies, undergraduate, Master or PhD students must submit the following documents:
- document for crossing the border (Passport, travel document, etc.) in original and in copy;
- letter of acceptance for studies – to be requested only upon the first extension of the residence right;
- certificate issued by the higher education institution;
- proof of the means of subsistence amounting to at least the minimum national net wage per month, for the entire validity period of the residence permit;
- proof of the legal ownership over the dwelling space (in original and in copy);
- medical certificate;
The citizens who receive scholarships from the Romanian State are exempted from the payment of consular duties for the residence permit and do not need to make the proof of their means of subsistence.
The proof of the means of subsistence should not be made by citizens of Romanian ethnos (if one of their ascendants held or holds Romanian citizenship).
Foreign citizens who turned 26 years old need a social health insurance for the extension of their temporary residence right, in accordance with Law no. 95/2006 concerning the health system reform.
International students who did not graduate during the initially granted period may benefit from the extension of their residence right over a maximum period of one year. The residence permit will be renewed with at least 30 days before the expiry of the previous one.
The temporary residence right for studies will be extended successively by 1 year periods. The residence permits for citizens receiving scholarships from the Romanian State will be granted over a period equal to the total duration of studies.
The residence right can be extended by at most 90 days after graduation, for the final settlement of the school or academic record and for the endorsement of the study documents.
Non-EU students who study in Romania and hold a residence permit in this purpose, can be employed only part time (4 hours/day). For this, a work pass must be obtained.
Application Form – Letter of acceptance to studies
List of higher education institutions holding a preparatory year
Requirements for Romanian Student visa